click me!

WE HAVE ARRIVED

Well, it has happened. velocache.net is now a fully operational battle station. Prepare yourselves.

Before I digress, which I am known to do, let me start off by giving some credit and handing out some thanks. This would not have happened without you all. You know who you are. Thank you. The new site would not be in existance without Buttars, if you run into him, give him a hug and buy him a beer. HUGE thank yous to the veterans out there who have kept this afloat in times of trouble and triumph...I have personal things to say to you that will have to wait until we have a face to face.

At the pokercache party on September 19 I would really like to take a bit of all of your time and preach a little about "the game". We'll see, I will probably just get drunk and cry a lot.

SO. Go to the site. Familiarize yourself. It is different than the one we play on now but can do all of the things we do now AND MUCH MUCH MORE. You will need to create an account. It is free and always will be for players. I realize some of you have already been in and have looked around but it is time for everyone to come on board. Texting from a phone to the site works. E-mailing too. There is a great forum feature that we can all cache ourselves in as well. This site is still in beta. It is not finished so now is the time to see if we can break it.

For now, play around. Posting "real" caches is not off limits but I think it might serve us better to get really comfortable with the new toy before we go "live". Post pictures of your cats and dogs. Go to the forum and talk about bikes. Have fun.

LOVE to you all. -A. Mortician

Thursday, May 7, 2009

THE DEAL: why we changed the game.

Seconds ago, all of the VELOCACHE deployment systems were found. Some of you got them, many did not. Why did you change things? you may ask. Well, for a number of reasons, here are a few:
1. We were generating WAY too much trash with our current system. Sore Bloke and I always meant to play the game this way but it simply got too big too fast for us to go that route. We simply were wasting too much "precious" plastic wrap and tape protecting our "treasure".
2. We needed to slow the game down a bit. YOU may feel like this game is simply about hiding and finding. YOU should see OUR e-mail inbox. You do not see the back end of this game.
3. We needed a change. It is extremely easy to go out and drop 10 caches. It is not so easy to find 1. The time came where parity was necessary. We hope that this new paradigm will not only let the cream rise to the top but also inject a new layer of motivation for those who really want to play. 
4. We are getting ready to change the game again. This small change will hopefully get you ready for a very big change that is on the horizon. 

SO while you may not like the changes now, (or like them) here are some things to keep in mind:

1. More tubes will be deployed. The two early concept models are IN play. They were heavy and bulky but need to go back out (AHEM!). So we actually have 12 velocaches to play with. More will come if twelve are not enough to keep the game rolling as fast as it did before. 
2. You will be welcome if not encouraged to get as many as you can now. Tonight was a distribution night and it worked pretty damn well. 10 up 10 down in about 3 hours is pretty rad in my mind. 
3. You will be EXPECTED to get these things back out in the world almost as fast as you find them. This game is based LARGELY on honor and if you mess with that you will be looked upon with a greatly disappointed gaze. 
4. This is BY FAR the longest post I have ever written and it is making me very tired. 
5. These VELOCACHE DEPLOYMENT DEVICES have flaws, I do not debate that. Don't hate them yet, the are the first of a line that is being tested. I know they will prevent us from hiding all the things we have in the past but hey also ALLOW us to hide some things we have not been able to. Play with them, experiment, have fun. 
6. SIGN THE TUBES. Get yourself a nice sharpie and lay your mark upon them and date that mark. This will give us a sense of physicality we have not had with our velocaches. 
7. Feel free to comment. This is one of those posts that will get tagged in the HOW TO's and stay around for awhile. 

7 comments:

  1. Cache capsule #6 will be out in circulation tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of the new deployment system (easy for me to say... i'm not there right now) But as most of you know i have often used containers for my caches, it gives it a sense of purpose... but more importantly:

    New containers will be easier to identify when placed amongst random urban debris.

    New containers are pre-labled... shit that saves a ton of time right there. Turn around on recaching should be even shorter.

    New containers look a lot less like IEDs and thus your odds of getting shot go way down.

    New containers are limited in number... ie. so that one ain't in your back yard... got to figure it out instead of waiting for an easy one to pop up. (once again props to Hotti for figuring out the two 'hard' ones that were deployed by Captian and I (humm my grammer may have eluded me there, ohh well))

    New containers give us an identity... since i'm away from the game right now i have wasted time trolling the web looking at bike crap... That little article in the BW has spiked intrest across the country... there is a lot of talk. Yes this is just for fun, but fun can be organized and refined... bring the changes bitches!

    New containers are dissimilar from the beer bottles i have been draining tonight... hic... so the odds of me accidently drinking caches will be reduced signifigantly...

    Yep... I'm drunk... ooops I'm a chatty drunk... and ha... I can diciminate my stupid drunken rambelings over the web.... I digress...

    hic.

    Shit i'm out, off to the store...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the containers for the following reasons:
    - standardized thing to look for
    - recirculating the containers, adding name/date on the container
    - eliminates need to find a package and subsequent waste

    I don't like the containers for the following reasons:
    - limited size, won't hold books, CDs etc
    - DOES look like an IED to me
    - too bulky to add to my commute bag for a commute-stash

    ReplyDelete
  4. I JUST WANT MORE OPTIONS. And they are Not being re-stashed with any swiftness. But I will live, post faster veloOG's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I feel that. I can't go hiding either and it is KILLING ME. It does make the caches much more v a l u a b l e doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Fellow Velocachers,
    New to the game of Velocache (I have my bro, Gypsy P, to thank for that...) I figured I'd throw my two cents in the pot for what it's worth :)

    #1 I think the EXPECTATION of rapid redeployment is not being adhered to as strictly as necessary with only 12 caches out there!( Ex:#5, I think it's been MIA 5 days now??) Are there going to be more added? Don't get me wrong, there are 2 sides to this coin that I fully comprehend... We all have work and lives to attend to outside of caching (although sometimes we'd rather not)... which is why I also think that the pressure that is put on fellow cachers to redeploy takes all the creativity and leisurly-ness out of finding that "perfect spot" for redeployment. I've been waiting all week to shine! I know this is due to my ability, or rather lack of ability, to be bad-ass enough, I just miss the old days when if I couldn't find a cache I could at least still go stash one for someone else to find!

    #2 I AM "someone who really wants to play"!! I just simply suck at finding caches! SO... the cream rising to the top theory is just excluding those of us who make better hiders than seekers. Now instead of looking like silver to me caches are like GOLD and unfortunately more unattainable than ever for little ol' me! What's a girl to do! I look forward to and wait desperatly for the "easy" caches. Of course I have yet to find one, but my day is coming! So if your mad that there is a street sign in a picture remember that that clumsily uploaded street sign is some people's only hope for glory!

    BUT, with all that said, I DO understand the need for a new system. I can only imagine the headache behind the maintenance!!! If only there was a way... Until then, Im gonna keep on keepin on!! or whatever :)

    Peace out!
    ~Lady Pink~

    ReplyDelete